The sixteenth edition of the SS-00259 for general use was released on March 1, 2018. The new edition will be enforced on April 1, 2018. All the parts, materials, and other articles that are procured by the Sony group, or by third parties need to satisfy the criteria specified in this standard.
Main Changes of the New Standard
Compared with the 15th edition, the main changes are as follows:
- The level of DEHP, DBP, BBP, and DIBP has been revised, “Parts and materials for electronic and electrical equipment (note that parts and materials for batteries are level 3)” will be classified under level 1 instead of level 2.
- The scope of Ozone depleting substances has been expanded.
The scale of the level 1 substance (“Intentionally added and Processes with ODS cleaning,foaming or other process”) has been expanded as “Substances of Annexes A (Chlorofluorocarbons, Halons ), B (Other fully halogenated, Carbon tetrachloride,1,1,1-trichloroethane), C (HCFCs, HBFCs , Bromochloromethane ) and E (Methyl bromide) of Montreal Protocol”.
- Benzenamine, N-phenyl-, reaction products with styrene and 2,4,4-trimethylpentene (BNST) has been repealed.
- The list of substances in candidate list for authorization of EU REACH regulation has been revised, Perfluorohexane-1-sulphonic acid and its salts, Dodecachloropentacyclo[126.96.36.199,9.02,13.05,10]octadeca-7,15-diene, Chrysene, Benz[a]anthracene was added to this list.
- Lead and lead compounds in all other batteries threshold level has been revised as “0.2wt% (2000ppm)” of battery while the level in the fifteenth edition was” 0.4wt% (4000ppm)”.
- The formaldehyde emission standards threshold level and the testing methods of the hardwood plywood, particleboard and medium-density fibreboard including thin medium-density fibreboard, which are employed in products (e.g. speakers and racks) has been added.