On the 8th of January 2015 the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People’s Republic China issued announcement No. 88, 2014. The announcement indicates that in view of “Management Methods for Controlling Pollution by Electronic Information Products” is currently in the revision stage， MIIT decided to temporarily delay “Marking for the restriction of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic products” （ SJ/T 11364-2014) until the new “Management Methods” come into force . SJ/T 11364-2006 continues to be effective.
Main Changes of the New Standard
Main changes compared with the 2006 version :
1. Standard name and scope: “electronic information products” to “electrical and electronic products”, “pollution control” to “restriction of hazardous substances”.
2. Increase the instructions for the logistics process.
3. Delete the normative references GB18455（Packaging Recycling Marks).
4. Added terms and definitions for “electrical and electronic products”, “harmful substances”, “logistics”. Remove the terms and definitions “electronic information products”, “toxic substances” “producer”, “import” and “packaging”.
5. Increase requirements “can use digital format identification in the electrical and electronic products with a display.
6. Delete requirements about ID to package material name.
Background of the New Standard Issued
On the 9th of July 2014 the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People’s Republic China issued announcement No. 70, 2014. The announcement shows the recommended electronics industry standard “Marking for the restriction of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic products” （SJ/T 11364-2014） has been completed by the revised industrial and electronic information products pollution control standards working group who formally approved the release of the standard. This new standards will replace SJ/T 11364-2006 and will be implemented on the 1st of January 2015. SJ/T 11364 is an important supporting standard for Management Methods for Controlling Pollution by Electronic Information Products. It comes up with specific provisions and requirements about harmful substances within electrical and electronic products, environment-friendly use, logo, and requirements for recycling . This standard is applicable to the electronic and electrical products sold within the territory of China, the logistics process can also be used for reference to electronic and electrical products.
This standard has great influence on many manufacturing enterprises and stakeholders. Although the formal implementation date has been delayed, enterprises still need to understand and master the technology content of SJ/T11364-2014, to be able to implement the standards in a timely manner.