This document (EN 14682:2014) has been prepared by Technical Committee CEN/TC 248 “Textiles and textile products”. And will be effective at the latest by June 2015, this document supersedes EN 14682:2007 which will be withdrawn .
EN 14682:2014 includes the following significant technical changes with respect to EN 14682:2007. Adjusted some professional terms and definitions, and revised interpretation in the appendix. Safety specification requirements of the cord and drawstring also made some related refinement of requirements and changes. The main revised contents as follows:
a) Clause 1 ‘Scope’:
New clause for bags and purses that are often sold as co-ordinating accessories for children’s clothing
b) Clause 2 ‘Terms and definitions’ have been adjusted.
c) Clause 3 ‘Requirements’:
1) 3.1.4 new NOTE to consider functional hanger loops. 3.2 and 3.3 term hood deleted and replaced by head.
2) Requirements now consider the different risks for front and back of garment, and specification corrected accordingly.
3) 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3 decorative cords are now permitted for young children with restrictions which specifically consider strangulation hazards. This is consistent with permitting stitched embellishments, for example bows.
4) 3.2.5, 3.2.6 and 3.3.4, 3.3.5 deal with shoulder straps and halter neck styles. Ring and slider mechanisms are commonly used to permit adjustment of the strap in wear, to ensure close fit and functionality of the garment. The loops created by these straps will be variable, and may be greater than 7.5 cm. However as these are close fitting to the body, no loop should present an entrapment hazard. 3.4 has been revised.
d) 3.7 sleeves: The original text assumed strings protruded from lower hems only, and that sleeves were long or short. This did not reflect fashion.
e) Annex B: new paragraph to clarify that anthropometric data listed is that used to define children’s sizes in EN 14682:2014, where the tallest children in Europe were considered.
f) Annex D, new improved methods for measurement of
— sash or tied belt,
— garment open to its largest and laid flat,
— garment in its relaxed natural state.
In order to help enterprises to control safety of children’s clothing which is exported to Europe, avoided unqualified caused recalls, and caused a direct economic loss, we suggest to take measures as below:
1) Pay close attention for recall dynamic of children’s clothing to the importing country, highly seriously safety specifications for the cords and drawstring of children’s apparel, to strengthened control ability by submitting test and self inspecting, and eliminated the export potential hazard for safety;
2) To strengthen the awareness for risk assessment of products, a full assessment existing design defects of product, should not blindly pursue the fashion, planted hidden dangers;
3) To strengthen communication and contact with the third party testing institutions, obtain the RAPEX recall information and technical support.
As China’s leading product testing company and a global service organization for product quality certification, we keep you up to date with timely information and updates on Regulations. We tailor our professional service according to your requirements, objectives, and offer comprehensive solutions on quality, thus enhancing your product for global competitiveness.